“A Miracle is a shift in perspective” Marianne Williamson
Positivity is a great quality, but be careful not to sacrifice your Authentic Valuable Truth – be real. “Changing just one negative belief into a positive belief can change your life for the better”. You may know someone who has the ability to pivot any problem into a solution, a setback into a catalyst for personal and professional growth.
1. Empower Yourself with Creative Positivity: The following is an exercise that encourages you to practice ‘Personal Responsibility’ or ‘Personal Ownership of your Problem’. Simple rule: A whole day with no complaining, blaming, destructively criticising or defending point of view, allows you to practice creative positivity.
2. Playful When was the last time you played? As a child? Last year? What would happen if you spent a whole day taking life much less seriously. Try it and see. There is a lovely little family saying: “those who play together, stay together.” If you are a parent: you will be giving your kids the best gift if you devote some time to play with them – it helps to find something that you can genuinely enjoy too.
3. Nature Research published in 2013 in the journal Global Environmental Change, found that people are significantly happier in natural environments. Look for ways to get out doors in the coming week – notice how much better you feel.
4. Chocolate Swiss researchers found that eating 1.4 ounces of dark chocolate every day for two weeks reduced stress hormones, including cortisol, in people who were highly stressed. If your weight is healthy and you have a friendly relationship with food, a little of what you fancy can be the perfect antidote to lifting your mood.
5. Music & Dance Studies in the Journal of Positive Psychology, reported students who listened to “happy” music, experienced elevations in mood. Why do you think the shops and restaurants play music? You can also lift your mood whilst dancing. This is one of my personal favourites.
6. Happiness Notebook Studies have found a strong correlation between feeling thankful and happiness. This single task has been found to ease depression. Choose anything you can genuinely be thankful for, as research has proven that in as little as 21 days this habit will positively affect your mood. An attitude of gratitude is one of the key ingredients to increasing happy feeling hormones.
7. Take 10 ~Are you Feeling irritable? It could be a sign of sleep deprivation, or stressful habits. Just 15 minutes of meditation will improve your mood.
8. Volunteer/Helping Others Researchers from the University of Exeter found that volunteering and helping others can boost happiness, ease depression and create fulfilment. People feel healthier and happier when they are making a positive difference. Self worth also improves.
9. Brighter Side Looking at the ‘sunny’ side of a situation can change everything. It’s your perspective that predicts whether you will be a happy or a lonely bitter person.
10. Start something new – begin something/anything – just do something different! When I feel overwhelmed – I declutter an area, my bag, or drawer. I might clean out my car or declutter my filing on my computer or clear my desk in my office. This method always gives me a boost of energy.
Always be learning something new – browse through U-Tube, begin a new fitness or dance class, a new book, discover a new hobby by trying a few things that trigger your interest. Turn off the TV – GET ACTIVE experimenting with activities that interest you.