1. Find a new hobby that includes exercise. Search for some form of exercise that you look forward to. Experiment until you find a few things that you enjoy. My personal favourites are: Dancing, Classes in Body Balance, Yoga, Body Pump. Swimming, cycling, badminton, playing outdoor games with kids: football, trampoline, shuttle ball.
2. Choose foods that feel energising. Before you choose something, stop, pause consider…. tune into your intuition….
3. Stop obsessing about food and find a new focus to absorb you.
4. Cut back on ‘mindless’ eating by choosing to only eat whilst sitting down in a relaxed setting. Savour your food by appreciating the taste, texture, smell, touch and experience.
5. Eating a little of what you fancy might work for you. Just keep in mind ‘processed’ sugary or fatty foods are going to drain your energy. Remember in Tip 2 – Think BEFORE you eat – “is this going to energise me?” Little and often is preferable to huge meals that crash your energy.
6. Every time you give into a habit you are making it stronger. Ask the question:” is this food helping me to create positive habits?” If the answer is no – ask yourself, “do I really need this?”
7. Get creative. Experiment with one brand new recipe each week, have fun with your food. Include a little protein with each meal to stop your sugar levels, energy and moods crashing. I create 3 new recipes each week by receiving a box of salad ingredients with recipes from Abel & Co.
8. Stop eating when 3/4 full. Get comfortable with leaving food on your plate.
9. As a guide, aim to eat 2-3 balanced meals with 2 smaller protein or fruit snacks. Make those meals more delicious by savouring each mouthful, deliberately and with complete mindfulness.
10. TV with adverts contain commercials that persuade you to eat junk and it is hypnotising you. Advertisers know this, that is why they spend millions on adverts during peak viewing. Instead spend the evening with something or someone you love – your family, pet, hobby, exercise, a good film (free from adverts) a new project, course or an uplifting book…with healthy happy feelings. Take a look at my new book: 9 Simple Steps for Happiness, with quotes, quick tips and easy fun processes that help you to be a Healthier, Happier You!
11. Prepare for sleep: Write down three lists. 1. Get on paper anything you are anxious about. 2. Write three things you wish to achieve the following day. 3. Write 3 things you appreciate about you, your partner, each child, parent and anyone who is upsetting you.
12. Listen to a relaxation meditation as you drift off to sleep to soothe you into deep peaceful blissful sleep.