9 ACTIONABLE STEPS TO QUIT PROCRASTINATING
Everyone procrastinates from time to time, especially with mundane tasks. Part of the reason you procrastinate is because the task at hand seems to daunting. Is it actually possible to break the cycle of procrastination? Only if you change your mindset.
1. Get organised. You can’t do any work until you clarify what assignments, tasks need to be completed.
2. Start your day with the hardest tasks first.
3. Break down big projects into clear small steps and take that first step.
4. Set a deadline and get rid of distractions. Never wait for ‘the perfect time’ it’s just the mind making up an excuse – just start. Success Mastery Skill (2018) – High Performance Habits, Brendon Burchard.
5. Aim for done over perfect.
6. Decide upon a reward for yourself when it’s done.
7. Use a New Strategy: Push yourself into action with the 2 minute rule. If something is going to take less than 2 minutes – do it now.
8. Limiting Beliefs: Become aware of your thinking patterns. According to UC Berkeley professor Martin Covington, fear of failure is directly linked to beliefs about self-worth. The limiting belief assumption is that failing means you are not worthy. If you experienced repeated failures then this compounds the feeling of low self worth, therefore rather than risking failing with the associated fear, you make yourself stay stuck in procrastination.
9. Practice the 5 second rule: Count back from 5 to 1 whenever you feel anxiety attempting to move forward, whilst at the very same time PUSH YOURSELF into action. If your mind is operating from familiar patterns, this method prevents your ‘procrastinating mind’ talking you out of taking action.
If having put the above actionable steps into practice and procrastination is still a problem for you, book your free session today by messaging Suzi on +44(0)7836 635233. Let’s get rid of procrastination for good.